Friday, September 2, 2011

A place for everything and everything in its place


Organized chaos is the enduring theme at our house, despite my continual efforts to put everything where it belongs. I’m not sure if we’ve slipped into this new framework because we have two sets of extra hands that are into everything, or because I never recovered the brain cells that were lost while I was pregnant.

Diapering babies has brought a whole new level of confusion into my life. Typically, you would expect to find a diaper on a baby, but this is rarely the case at our house. When we remove Abby’s diaper she squeals and begins running naked hot laps. The dirty diaper should then be thrown into the Diaper Genie, but I have found them in the strangest places. Washing disposable diapers in the washing machine does not make them clean and simply placing them in the dish drying rack does not make the scent dissipate. Desitin is another diapering item that should always be kept with the diapering supplies. It should not be kept in the bathroom near the toothpaste.

Food storage has become a little difficult now that the girls are capable of opening the cabinets, the fridge, the oven and the dishwasher. I have opened the pantry looking for peanut butter and found frozen corn dogs. The corn dogs were no longer frozen and the peanut butter was mysteriously unaccounted for. The jar of peanut butter is still missing, but I did find a sippy cup in the fridge of the play kitchen and some silverware in the toy box.

My house is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you’re gonna get. Don’t be surprised if the chocolate you pick out is filled with Desitin, or possibly the missing peanut butter.

1 comment: