Monday, August 8, 2011

A blessing in disguise

I am in the middle of a constant food battle with two toddlers. I cannot ever convince them to eat the meals that I prepare. I slave for hours over grilled cheese sandwiches and macaroni and cheese to no avail. Shopping is always a fruitless endeavor because whatever worked last week will not work again for three months. If you are what you eat, Abby is a cup of yogurt and Audrey is a pancake. I took a step back today and realized that we are all so blessed. My girls are so lucky to have choices and though they don’t ever choose the healthiest thing, they don’t have to worry about finding their next meal.

It is with a heavy heart that I read about families that are not surviving famine in Somalia. According to U.S. estimates, drought and famine have killed more than 29,000 children under the age of 5 in the last 90 days in southern Somalia alone. These numbers are staggering to me and thinking of other parents who are burying their children because they could not feed them is more than I can handle. So, I am so thankful for all that we have and I am reminded that my frustrations about food aren’t really all that important. It doesn’t matter that my girls live on yogurt and pancakes, because they are living.
 

1 comment: